What is Google Analytics ?
Google started a real time website analytics tool with the name Google Analytics on 29 sep 2011. Google Analytics is a free statistics tracking and analysis service that allows website’s administrators to analyze traffic flow on a web site. This software is easily navigated. One of the more impressive features of Google Analytics is the ability to flag certain pages as “goals”. This is very useful tool for growth of a website, specifically beneficial to e-commerce web sites.The basic service is free of charge and a premium version is available for a fee.
How Google Analytics Track website traffic.
Google Analytics can track visitors from all referrers, including search engines and social networks, direct visits and referring sites. It also tracks display advertising, pay-per-click networks, email marketing and digital collateral such as links within PDF documents.
When someone visits a website, many of information is stored on the server in the form of access logs. These files are simple text files. Access log files are formatted in a specific way to allow programs to analyze the stored information. After that it present the information in a easy way that can be more easily understood. Google Analytics get and serve us, following type of data.
- This data includes the IP address of the computer.
- The amount of data transferred.
- The URL visited , the time and date of the visit, the operating system
- The browser used by the visitor to the web site.
- The common information used to tell whether a web site is doing well is the number of visitors. This is certainly valuable information, but it tells us nothing about what visitors are doing when they visit a web site.
So Use of google analytics is a best practice for track the website user data,user tendencies.To use of this data web developer can provide the best content or product ,according to user interest. In this way google analytics help the web developer to growth to his website.